Creating and uploading your ArchLab personal page
To create your personal site on the ArchLab site:
- Get an account / password on the ArchLab webserver 'Wundt'
- Create your site using the ArchLab template
- Upload to the ArchLab webserver
Step 1: Get an account on Wundt
If you don't already have an account on Wundt, email Dan Roberts (firstname.lastname@example.org) to request one.
Your username is the local-part of your GMU address, for example, 'drobertc'.
Your password must be atleast 7 characters long, and contain atleast 3 of the following 4:
- English uppercase characters (A through Z)
- English lowercase characters (a through z)
- Base 10 digits (0 through 9)
- Non-alphabetic characters (for example, !, $, #, %)
If you want a specific password, either email it to Dan with your account request, or set-up a time to meet with Dan to enter it into the system directly. You cannot set-up your passwords remotely at this time.
Email Dan if you have forgot your password and/or need it to be reset.
Step 2: Create your site using the ArchLab template
The ArchLab template utilizes a server-side cascading style-sheet (CSS) file, to maintain consistency in format across sites. For a basic personal site, you can just plug-in your personal information into the existing template.
Download a Zip file of the template here
Since the the formatting of the page uses a server-side CSS file, the template will look unformatted in WYSIWYG software such as Dreamweaver. It is most convenient to use a simple text editor that highlights html syntax to edit the template,for example Notepad++ for Windows or TextWrangler for OSX.
Be sure to save all files as .shtml, not .html.
Step 3: Upload your page to the ArchLab webserver 'Wundt'
Once you have a Wundt account and your created page, you can upload it to Wundt, the ArchLab webserver.
3.1) Acquire FTP software. FileZilla is free and cross-platform, so it will be used in this example.
3.2) Setup FileZilla (or other FTP client,) to connect to Wundt over SFTP at 'wundt.archlab.gmu.edu' using your username / password:
File > Site Manager.
Within the site manager, select 'new site,' and name the new site 'Wundt'
Enter the following information in the "General" tab:
- Under host, enter hfac.gmu.edu (archlab.gmu.edu, or wundt.archlab.gmu should also work).
- The 'port' field can be left blank.
- Under server type select SFTP.
- 'Logon type' should be set to normal.
- 'User' and 'Password' are the username and password from Step 1.
Click on the "Advanced" tab:
- Under "default remote directory", enter /var/www/people/username, where username is the username from Step 1 (your GMU email name).
- Click 'OK' to save the settings for the future
3.3) Upload your page.
If you followed the instruction above, you can connect to Wundt with FileZilla by navigating to the site manager (File > Site Manager or CTRL+S,) selecting Wundt from 'MySites' and clicking 'Connect.'
Your local drive is represented in the left pane of FileZilla. Wundt is represented in the right pane. In the left pane, navigate to where you've saved your edited index.shtml file. In the right pane, you should be located in your personal folder on Wundt, which is the default location when you connect via the 'Advanced' tab in the above instructions.
Right click on your index.shtml file and any additional sub-page files, and select 'upload.'